Monday, February 18, 2008

A Lesson of What I'm Capable Of

So, to set the scene, I'm sitting at work this morning with little to do and very bored. But who was online but my good friend Tony? The conversation went thusly:

Me: I'm bored. /headdesk
Tony: So do something.
Tony: Write a sonnet.
Me: You serious?
Tony: First thing that popped into my head.

Half an hour latter, voila!

A cup that sits upon an empty chair
Filled up with something vaporous and clear
And coming 'pon it with nary a care
I lift the glass and toast devoid of fear.
A toast to those I knew ten years ago
Who scattered on the sund'ring winds of fate
I search for words both curt and apropros
As love comes easier wrapped in masking hate.
A toast to those who come new to my life
Potential souls with which to cast anew
And should our easy bracing turn to strife
A quick well met calls for a quick adieu.
And with a glance to every empty place
I drink, may those who knew me find some grace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats an apropros?

ditty said...

OK, that was way too good for such little effort. I demand you throw it away and toil again!