Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random Update

Sorry this space has been so quiet lately. There just isn't much to say. I've been sick and busy and generally bleh. Once I stop being bleh, maybe I'll have something more to put here. It doesn't help that all my heroes keep dying.

First it was Stan Winston, which was tragic. But then there was Carlin, a man who by all accounts should have been too full of spite to die. I suppose that's what happens when you start getting drug-induced heart attacks in your 40s.

Carlin was and is probably the biggest influence on my sense of humor. He taught me things about delivery and cadence that I use every day. It's not just to be funny ... in fact, funny isn't really important. It's all in how you say what you have to say. With the right twist and the proper sense of abandon, ANYTHING can be funny. It's that disregard for convention that I try to hold near and dear to my heart.

Anyway, I don't know how well my readers knew Carlin, but everyone should watch at least some of his stuff. Luckily, some gracious youtube person posted every single one of his shows. Go ahead and enjoy. The playlists are organized quite well. The best way to remember him would be to watch, and laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_list?user=DiavoloDiAno

No comments: