Friday, July 11, 2008

High School Reunion

So this morning I load up facebook and see that there's a group to plan next May's 5 year High School reunion for me.

Needless to say, reactions were mixed here in Lit Rock land.

On the one hand, I'm inherently against rights of passage. I barely put up with graduation, and that was mainly due to parental pressure. The idea of voluntarily caring about a suppose 'right of passage' is so foreign to me that my head instantly starts spinning a little.

On the other hand, I'm kind of amused at the idea. I had fun in high school. It wasn't great, but it was amusing.

No matter what the reaction, I'm having a hard time grasping the fact that five years have passed since then. My how time flies, y'know?

Giving further, more serious thought to the idea, I'm really at a loss. Five years isn't really a lot of time. One would argue ten years isn't really a lot of time. Most of these people who will show up are just getting out of college or going to grad school, and ... really, nothing much changes until you get out of college (everyone in college can bitch to me about how that's not true but talk to me a few years after you're in the real world and we'll talk again kthx).

So there isn't any time for all the real appealing features of high school reunions to take place--people breeding, failing, surprising success stories, the beauties getting skanky and the late bloomers becoming awesome.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I want to see some train wrecks. That's half the reason I'd ever go to one of these. Then again, maybe I could get back into touch with people who dropped off my radar. Decisions, decisions.

Stupid people and social events. Seriously.

1 comment:

ditty said...

*blinkblink* Two posts in one day? Is the world ending or something?