Saturday, January 31, 2009

Movie Rundown - Jan 19 to Feb 1

So, it's been a while, I decided that for some reason to not write a Movie Rundown for last week. So this week is gonna be pulling double duty. Sorry about that, but I'm pretty sure that you won't mind. It's not like I watched a TON of stuff.

Django (***) - This one's a very cult Spaghetti Western from the 60s. It also has the most infectious main theme I've ever heard. Seriously, that song is just ... terrifyingly catch. The movie itself was pretty solid, the typical tale of mysterious gunfighters, double- and triple-crosses, and blood soaked revenge. Not quite Leone-quality, but solid.

Dan in Real Life (****) - I'm fast developing a great appreciation for Steve Carrell. This movie is very solid, though it seems to meander in the third act and derail pretty hard right at the end. That said, the characters are very sweet, the humor low-key and grounded, and the movie has Dane Cook not being terrible. That's worth something.

Day of the Dead (*) - I don't believe in giving zeroes, but ... dammit, I wish I did. This film is TERRIBLE. There isn't a redeeming feature to it. It's a straight to DVD remake (remake being used VERY loosely) of Romero's best zombie movie, and it's ... a mess. In every way. I've never been bored watching a zombie rampage before. But I'll be honest, I didn't even finish this one. Stay away.

Tokyo Gore Police (*****)
This one get's special consideration. Let me explain. It's schlock. It's trash. It's full of craziness. But it's pretty easy to know if you're gonna like it or not. Just look at three pictures that I'll show you. Just think to yourself, do I want to see more of that? If yes, watch Tokyo Gore Police.

THIS THING IS AMAZING. JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE HER MOVE!

THIS IS THE BAD GUY. HIS EYES SHOOT EYEBALLS!

THIS MAN HAS A GUN THAT SHOOTS SEVERED FISTS.
SEVERED FUCKING FISTS!

The Wrestler (*****) - I don't need to tell you this movie is good. Just ask just about anyone who's seen it. But this movie is a great look at both the world of professional wrestling, and about people who can't give up their dream, even when their dream has given up on them. It's not a happy film, it's not a nice or fuzzy film. But it's true and cold and somehow touching all at the same time. And Mickey Rourke is absolutely amazing in it.

In Bruges (****) - I honestly wasn't sure if I liked this movie or not. It's really kind of ... crazy. the tone is all over the place, and the jokes meld seamlessly into pretty serious drama. In the end, though, it's a whirlpool of comedy and drama, but they never blend into typical dramedy. Instead, they're just layered. More than once I would just kind of stare agape at the film and go "What the hell?" But ... in the end, I'm left thinking it was brilliant. Go figure.

Robot Stories (***) - This is a collection of very very independant short stories about how humanity might have to cope with the advances of technology. I only knew about this because NPR interviewed the director in a show, and I finally got to it in my queue. It was ... interesting enough, I suppose. the first two stories were rather uneventful, but the second two were worth it, I think. I don't know. I've never seen a movie where the lack of budget actually hurt the quality of the film (in my assessment) anyway, but I think the material required actors outside the director's budget. I dunno.

Anyway, that's it for this week. Sorry for the delay. I took the day off of work and everything kind of got pushed back because of it. Next week is Coraline, at least. I'm excited for that. Not sure what else is going to be on the docket.

Also, Watchmen comes out in little more than a month. You should be excited.

No comments: