Friday, February 8, 2008

The Itis

So lately I've been trying to eat better, for a big number of reasons. And I've been doing a good job of it too. Lots of vegetables and grains and crap.

Today I forgot a lunch though. So instead of my usual good-ish for me lunch I decided to wander out into the wide world of lunches to pick up something from a place that would preprepare it and toss it out their pull-up window.

Options presented itself to me: Burger King, McDs, Subway, Runza (nonmidwesterners are missing out on that one) and Arbys. Because it was the first friday of Lent and I listened to people talk about the wonders of the local fish fry (I love fish but if your typical means of eating it are to fry it your stomach is secretly plotting your death) I decided to go ahead and go to Arbys and get a roast beef sandwich. Which I did. And which I ate.

Bad, bad idea. I got myself a mondo case of the Itis. If you don't know what the Itis is, this might help. Needless to say, the rest of my workday was spent in a place between pain and sleep as my body reacted to the sudden influx of undoubtedly bad stuff going into me. This was not fun, or pleasant, or anything else. Trust me, it's bad.

The moral of this story: if you're going to start eating better, you'll find you eventually have to eat better or risk your body's wrath. I suppose that's a silver lining, if you look at it right.

PS: This article has been time-maged back to Friday because I went to bed after I had wrote the first line.

1 comment:

knittingjenni said...

I know your pain. I started eating healthier a few months back and when the odd moment struck and I wanted to partake of something wholey unheathy for myself, my stomach too decided it didn't like and made me feel miserable. Unfortuantely, the stomach can and will take umbrage at the strangest things, things that you don't consider unheathy, but your stomach doesn't like anyway. Hope your change of eating habit smooths out sooner rather than later.