Thursday, December 13, 2007

Guess What's In My Hand?

A young girl and boy were playing in the park one day. The boy was building castles and buildings out of the moist sand in the sandbox. The girl was rummaging through the bushes for berries. Suddenly, the girl gave out a cry.

The boy glanced over, wondering perhaps if the girl had been scratched by a stray thorn. He did not hear the cry was a cry of delight.

The girl rushed over, her hands clasped together. "Guess what's in my hand!" She was beaming, a strange light in her face. It made the boy feel uncomfortable.

The boy looked down at his castles, the sand too dry to make any detail. He sullenly addressed the girl. "What is it?"

"Guess!"

"I don't want to play games," he said, pleased at how adult he sounded. "Tell me, is it a berry? Or a ladybug? Or a firefly?"

"No, even better…" She looked around to make sure nobody was listening. "I found a fairy!"

"A fairy? Like a small person with wings that glows and flies around? Like Tinkerbell?"

"Just like that," she said. "I was looking in the bush, and the fairy was just sitting there watching me. I held out my hand, and she hopped into it, looking up at me. I decided to come show you."

"Don't be stupid," the boy said. "Fairies aren't real."

"Of course they are," the girl said. "I have one in my hand."

"No you don't. You can't. They don't exist."

"They do too!" The girl stomped her foot. "Don't be difficult. Just look when I let her loose. She'll fly away, but you'll see her. I can prove it to you."

"There can't be a fairy. It's not possible. Open your hands and I'll show you its just a bug or a butterfly."

The girl opened her hands. She was so transfixed with what she was doing that she didn't notice that the boy's eyes were closed. As she opened her hands, the boy shook his head, his eyes still closed. "See what I mean? Just a firefly, like I said. Don't be so silly."

The girl frowned as she watched the fairy fly up from her hands and off deeper into the park. "That's not a firefly, it's a fairy!" There were tears standing out in her eyes.

The boy turned back to his mound of sand as he finally opened his eyes. "I saw it the same as you. It was just a firefly. Don't bother me with something so stupid again." He ignored her and went back to his castle.

The girl, weeping openly, turned back to the bush to look for fireflies.

* * *

I don't have much to say today, actually. Working, writing, tired. The week's wearing down, and I typically wear down with it. I get Jimmy John's for lunch, which is yummy-<3. And yesterday someone offered to do two very nice things for me out of the blue, and I remembered that good deeds exist and how wonderful they are when they come to you. It's been a long time since I've been in a position to do a good deed for someone. I just … never have an opportunity. I hope to, though, sometime.

Writing went well again last night. I won't say much right now, and probably won't blog much until I'm done with the draft. My mind's very wrapped up in the machine of my novel as it steams down the tracks towards its inevitable end. I'm already prepping the confetti and noisemakers.

Maybe my karma's looking up? Worth hoping for, really. But I won't hold my breath. Karma only comes round good when you don't worry about it, but instead focus on breathing. That's all that matters. Breathing, living, carrying on as normal.

Inhale. Exhale. Live. Dream.

No comments: